Undergraduate study in Communication
What can you study in Communication?
Media and communication are big business, and digital media comsumes our daily lives. Your study in Communication will give you in-depth insights into how media and communication operate in society today.
You will be able to develop specialist skills and knowledge by studying various forms of writing, journalism, digital and visual communications and social media.
You can gain insights into audiences, technology and culture, advertising, marketing, and communications in business and the workplace. There are also opportunities to explore the relationship of the media with politics, gender and Māori.
You can also choose to focus your study in one of three areas: business and marketing, media and communications, and science communications.
Structuring your major or specialisation in Communication
Major in Communication
You can take a major in Communication as one of your two BA majors (a double major). You will need to pass at least 120 points (eight courses) towards each of your majors, including at least 45 points (three courses) at Stage III.
Specialisation in Communication
If you want your degree to predominantly focus on Communication, you can take the specialisation, which consists of 240 points (16 courses).
Explore the undergraduate courses you can take as part of a major or specialisation in Communication. You would normally take Stage I courses in your first year, Stage II in your second and Stage III in your third.
You must pass the following courses as part of the Communication major:
- COMMS 100 and COMMS 104
- Two courses from COMMS 200-205
- Two courses from COMMS 300-309
You must pass the following courses as part of the Communication specialisation:
- COMMS 100, COMMS 104 and DRAMA 100
- One course from BUSINESS 151, ENGLISH 121, MAORI 130, MKTG 151, PACIFIC 105, SCIGEN 101
- Three courses from COMMS 200-205
- Three courses from BUSINESS 291, COMMS 200-205, MEDIA 222, MAORI 271, POLITICS 233, SCIGEN 201
- Three courses from COMMS 300-309
- Three courses from COMMS 300-309, MEDIA 327, MKTG 306, POLITICS 345, SCIGEN 301, SOCIOL 318