Undergraduate study in Marketing
What can you study in Marketing?
You can study Marketing as a single major or as a double major alongside one of the other majors offered within the Bachelor of Commerce. (These include International Business or Management.) You can also study towards the Bachelor of Commerce in Marketing as part of a conjoint degree programme. (In a conjoint programme, you study for two degrees at once, attaining the qualification in a shorter time than it would take to complete the two programmes separately.)
In the Marketing major you will learn how to respond to and satisfy customer needs through product and service development, planning, pricing, advertising, promotion and distribution. You will:
- Learn about fundamental marketing concepts and theories
- Identify the characteristics of responsible and sustainable marketing practice
- Understand the importance of marketing to business practice
- Understand how to evaluate consumer needs when developing marketing strategies
- Learn to apply consumer insights and market research
- Develop skills to assess real world marketing situations and marketing strategies
At the Stage 1 level, all undergraduate students enrolled in either the BCom or the BProp will receive a solid introduction to Marketing as a central focus of the interdisciplinary core courses:
- BUSINESS 101: Business and Enterprise 1
- BUSINESS 102: Business and Enterprise 2
Once a student embarks on the Marketing major, there are two required courses at the Stage II level:
- MKTG 201: Marketing Management
- MKTG 202: Marketing Research
There are then two required courses within a Marketing major at the Stage III level:
- MKTG 301: Marketing Strategy
- MKTG 303: Buyer Behaviour
Finally, to complete the major, all students must then take at least one more Stage III course. Many students will choose to take more than one of these courses. Options include:
- MKTG 302: Advanced Marketing Research
- MKTG 305: Services Marketing and Management
- MKTG 306: Advertising and Promotion
Where can undergraduate study in Marketing take you?
Scholarships and awards
Each year we award scholarships and prizes to thousands of students.
Find out about the scholarships you may be eligible for, search available scholarships or begin an application by visiting Scholarships and awards.
Help and advice
For general student enquiries, please contact the Business School Student Centre.