Undergraduate study in Japanese

What you can study in Japanese

There are Japanese language courses for every level, whether you are a beginner or not. You can gain proficiency in Japanese sufficient to be able to converse confidently and read material published for native speakers. At Stages II and III there are opportunities to study in Japan.

Non-language courses develop your knowledge of the language's social and cultural contexts. You can study Japanese culture and society, literature, history, popular culture, media or linguistics. Several courses incorporate materials in Japanese, allowing you to enhance your language skills while you acquire in-depth knowledge of Japanese culture and society.

Structuring your major in Japanese

If you are beginning a BA in 2018

You can take a major in Japanese as one of your two BA majors (a double major). You will need to pass at least 120 points (eight courses) towards each of your majors, including at least 45 points (three courses) at Stage III.

If you first enrolled in a BA prior to 2018

For a single major you must pass at least 135 points, including at least 60 points above Stage II.

For a double major you must pass at least 120 points in each of two majors, including at least 45 points above Stage II in each major.

For a BA minor you must pass at least 90 points, including at least 60 points above Stage I.

How to choose your courses

You can choose your courses from those listed in the BA schedule for Japanese. You must also meet any specific requirements indicated in the schedule.

2018 BA schedule for Japanese

Taking a Module in Japanese

If you would like to study Japanese alongside your two BA majors, you can complete a Module.

A Module is an optional grouping of three courses on a particular theme which enables you to add extra value to your Bachelor of Arts.

Take a look at Modules


Explore the undergraduate courses you can take as part of a major in Japanese:

First time enrolment in language courses

By enrolling in an introductory language course you are declaring that you have either:

  • No knowledge or prior study of the taught language
  • Minimum knowledge of the taught language

If you have prior knowledge or previous study in a language you can enrol in a more advanced course by submitting an enrolment concession request via Student Services Online.

Scholarships and awards

Help and advice

For help with planning your degree and enrolling in your courses, please contact the Arts Students' Centre.

If you would like to find out more about studying Japanese, you can contact our Undergraduate Adviser.