Health and travel insurance

All international students are required to have health and travel insurance while studying in New Zealand. The following guidelines apply to international students only.

Related information and forms available for download

Why is health and travel insurance compulsory?

The New Zealand Government’s Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students requires all international students to have appropriate health and travel insurance during their period of study. The insurance must also cover your travel to New Zealand to study.

It is the University of Auckland’s responsibility, under the Code, to ensure that all international students have appropriate health and travel insurance, and therefore this is a condition of your enrolment.

The University of Auckland uses Studentsafe as their preferred insurance provider for international students. The Studentsafe-University plan offers comprehensive health and travel insurance benefits, which meet the requirements of the Code. When you enrol, you will be automatically covered by the Studentsafe-University policy and the charge is added to your student account. You must pay this charge when you pay your tuition fees.

If you have not been charged insurance when you first enrol, please contact the International Student Information Centre immediately. It is your responsibility to check and ensure you pay for your insurance.

Visit the StudentSafe-University website

Read about the Code of Practice


How much does it cost?

The 2014 academic year premiums for international student health and travel insurance are as follows:

Single student

  • NZ$146.25 – Summer School
  • NZ$146.25 – quarter term
  • NZ$292.50 – one semester
  • NZ$585 – full year

Short courses

  • NZ$50 – short courses of 30 days or less

Condition applies: the student must inform the Insurance Administration Office prior to short course start date.

Family insurance

If you wish to insure family members, please complete a family insurance application form.


Family policy application forms must be submitted within one month of the semester/enrolment start date.

Please note family policies are not renewed automatically. If you wish to renew your family policy, you must inform the Insurance Administrator on or before the policy expiry date. If you are enrolled by semester, you need to renew your family policy each semester.

The family premium for 2014 academic year is as follows:

Student and partner OR student solo parent with child/children:

  • NZ$292.50 – Summer School or quarter term
  • NZ$585 – one semester
  • NZ$1170 – full year

Couple and child/children:

  • NZ$365 – Summer School or quarter term
  • NZ$730 – one semester
  • NZ$1460 – full year

Important notice to persons 60 years of age and over.

Students or family members aged 60 and over are required to provide medical evidence to Vero, before cover can be accepted. If you or a family member are 60 years of age or over you must complete the Medical Risk Assessment form and email it directly to the insurance provider (see the form for details).

What does the insurance policy cover?

If you travel to New Zealand within 31 days of your course start date you will be covered for unforeseen events that may occur during your travels to New Zealand, such as lost baggage or flight delays (conditions apply; more information can be found in the policy). Please retain your receipts and any necessary documentation. When you have arrived in Auckland, please see the Insurance Administrator at The University of Auckland.

University Health Services

Studentsafe-University policy holders are able to use University Health Services for all compliant health and counselling services. Please refer to the policy wording for terms and conditions.

Any consultation covered by the Studentsafe-University policy will be billed directly to the insurance company with no charge to the student. Please note that consultations not covered by the policy will be charged to the student.

Read about University Health Services

Pre-existing conditions are not covered by the Studentsafe-University policy.
If you have a pre-existing medical condition, you can apply for cover directly to the insurer by completing the Medical Risk Assessment form and returning it to the insurance provider. Details are on the form.

Campus Pharmacy

Campus Pharmacy (City Campus) directly bills the insurance company for prescriptions prescribed to Studentsafe-University policy holders by doctors from University Health Services. There is no charge to the student for prescriptions covered by the policy.

Campus Pharmacy
Level 1, Student Commons
2 Alfred Street
City Campus
Ph: +64 9 373 7599 ext 87935


What if I already have insurance?

If you wish to use an alternative insurance provider, the policy must be compliant with the requirements of the New Zealand government's Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students.

Please see the list of compliant policies accepted by The University of Auckland.

If you have a compliant policy, you must bring your original certificate of insurance and the Insurance Waiver Application form to the Insurance Administrator before the deadline specified below in order to get an insurance waiver. Any applications received after these dates will not be accepted and you will be charged for the Studentsafe-University insurance policy. If you enrol late, you must bring your compliant insurance certificate in the same week you enrol in order for a waiver to be processed.

Alternative insurance policies must cover your semester dates and your return journey to your home country. Please make sure your policy is valid until your return home, or for the period of your student visa if you are staying in New Zealand.

Please note: you must apply for a new insurance waiver every semester (doctoral students every year).

Download the Insurance Waiver Application form.

The Insurance Waiver Application form must be submitted to the Insurance Administrator on or before the following dates:

Insurance Waiver Application deadlines
 Summer School 06 January 2014
 First semester 03 March 2014
 Second semester 21 July 2014
 First quarter 06 January 2014
 Second quarter 07 April 2014
 Third quarter 30 June 2014
 Fourth quarter 22 September 2014
 Doctoral Within one month of enrolment start date

Important Note - If you choose to cancel your insurance policy while you are on PhD suspension, on exchange or overseas and then resume your insurance cover when you return, it will be considered a new policy. This means that any medical conditions you received treatment for under the original policy will now be considered pre-existing conditions and will not be covered under the new policy. Please see the Insurance Administrator for advice before you travel.

Non-compliant insurance policies

Please note if your policy appears on the University's list of non-compliant insurance policies, it will not be accepted and you will be charged for the Studentsafe-University policy.

Non-compliant policy list
(49.7 kB, PDF)

Alternative policy assessment

If you wish to use an insurance provider that is not on either list, your insurance policy must be assessed by the University's independent brokers to ensure the policy meets the required Code of Practice policy standard. If your alternative insurance is deemed to meet the requirements, a waiver will be issued.

You must apply for alternative policy assessment at least two weeks prior to semester start date. If you submit your application later than two weeks prior to semester start date, you will be liable to pay for Studentsafe-University cover for your first semester. You may apply for a waiver for the following semester.

For alternative policy assessment, please supply the following to the Insurance Administrator:

  • Full insurance policy wording (in English)
  • Insurance certificate
  • Insurance Waiver Checklist

Important information

It is your responsibility as a student to understand and become familiar with the insurance policy terms and conditions. All policy documentation and details of benefits are available at the International Student Information Centre or on the Studentsafe-University website.

If you have not been charged insurance when you first enrol, please contact the International Student Information Centre immediately. It is your responsibility to check and ensure you pay for your insurance.

You are required to inform the Insurance Administrator of any changes during the period of insurance (e.g. you are no longer enrolled, you have changed your status to domestic student, or you have insured with a different provider) as it will affect your your eligibility to make a claim or receive a refund from the Studentsafe-University policy. If any refund is due because of a change, it will be calculated from when the refund application is received. No refund or waiver application will be accepted if it is received after the policy expires.

For PhD and masters by research students, once you have submitted your thesis your University enrolment ends and this may impact on your insurance cover.

As an international student you are required to have approved insurance for your period of study.  Therefore a Studentsafe premium is charged when you are enrolled.  However, once you have submitted your thesis your enrolment is stopped and this may impact on your insurance cover

You are required to advise the Insurance Administrator within one month if you are studying from overseas or conducting research outside New Zealand. If you do not advise the Insurance Administrator of these changes within one month of these changes you will not be eligible for a waiver or refund.

Waivers or cancellations are processed within 5 working days once all relevant documents are sighted and approved by the Insurance Administrator. 

For more information about International Student Insurance, please see Studentsafe's list of Frequently Asked Questions.


Contact us

Studentsafe-University Help Desk

Phone: +64 9 488 1638
Tollfree: 0800 486 004
Fax: 0800 800 167

Monday to Friday

Customer service:

Global contact details:

  • Worldwide: +64 9 486 6868 (reverse charge call through operator)
  • Within Australia: 1 800 554 114 (tollfree)
  • Within United Kingdom: 0500 896 893 (tollfree)
  • Within USA: 1 800 328 1643 (tollfree)

The University of Auckland Insurance Administrator

Mailing address:
Insurance Administrator
International Office
The University of Auckland
Private Bag 92019
Auckland 1142
New Zealand

Physical address:
International Student Information Centre
Room G23, Old Choral Hall
City Campus
7 Symonds Street
Phone: +64 9 373 7599 ext 88694
Fax: +64 9 373 7655