VPN access from China
These instructions will help you to download, install and configure the VPN Service. You can use the VPN Service on your laptop, desktop computer or phone. These instructions will help you to install the service on your laptop or computer.
Step 1: Download the FortiClient VPN Client
Download the correct VPN client installer for your computer by right-clicking the appropriate link below and saving the file to your computer:
Please note: The installer download may be slow, but after installing the VPN client, in most cases, your connection to University resources will be faster.
Search for ‘FortiClient VPN’on the AppStore
“FortiClient” available in Google Play Store.
Please note: Installation and configuration instructions are the same as for desktop and laptop installations
Step 2: Install the FortiClient VPN Client
- Open the downloaded installer
- Accept the license agreement
- Follow the prompts to install the VPN client
Step 3: Set up the FortiClient VPN Client
- Open the FortiClient VPN Client
- Click the I acknowledge checkbox, then click I accept.
- Click Configure VPN
- In the New VPN Connection window, enter the following informaion:
- VPN: SSL-VPN
- Connection Name: UoA-VPN-SZ
- Description: UoA-VPN-SZ
- Remote Gateway: Enter the details for the nearest location to you. If you are unable to connect to the nearest location, or if the service is very slow, try a different location:
- Shanghai: 18.104.22.168
- Shenzhen: 22.214.171.124
- Customize port: Tick, enter 10443
- Client Certificate: None
- Authentication: Select Save login
- Username: Enter your University of Auckland account username (UPI)
- Do not Warn Invalid Server Certificate: Tick
- Click Save.
Step 4: Connect the Fortinet VPN Client
You will need to login to the Fortinet VPN every time you want to access University of Auckland content. You need to download, install and configure the VPN before you can login. You will need your UPI and password to login.
Reminder: You will only be able to log in to one computing device at any given time.
The login window will open.
- Enter your University of Auckland UPI and password.
- Click Connect.
- The VPN Client will start connecting. When the connection is complete, the VPN Connected window will display.
Step 5: Test your VPN connection to the University of Auckland
Once connected via the VPN as above, test the connection by logging in to Canvas, the University of Auckland's Learning Management System (LMS):
1. Go to https://canvas.auckland.ac.nz/
2. Login using username and password
Disconnecting your VPN connection
When you no longer need the VPN connection, open the VPN Connected window and click Disconnect.