Study abroad with Architecture

Complete part of your degree while earning credits towards your University of Auckland degree. You can study for one or two semesters, or take advantage of shorter opportunities such as Summer School.

School of Architecture and Planning

When to go

  • Undergraduate: BAS students may apply to go on exchange in Semester Two of their second year and/or Semester One of their third year.
  • Postgraduate: MArch(Prof) students may apply to go in the second semester of their first year. If transitioning from a BAS degree at the University of Auckland, students would need to apply in their final year of BAS for a postgraduate MArch(Prof) exchange. If you have any queries, contact the Student Hubs

Where to go

Semester exchange participants can choose from over 130 partner universities across more than 30 countries. Please be sure to check the host university fact sheets and relevant exchange/study abroad sections of the host university website to ensure suitable courses are available for your major(s) and/or subject area(s) of interests at any of your preferred partner universities. When researching potential host universities, be sure to check that your preferred courses are:

  • open to exchange students
  • likely to be on offer in the appropriate semester
  • aligned with open spaces in your degree

Where have previous Architecture students gone to on exchange?

  • Aalborg University, Denmark (PG only)
  • Lund University, Sweden (PG only)
  • Kingston University, London, United Kingdom
  • Monash University, Australia
  • Technical University of Munich, Germany
  • Tsinghua University, China (PG only)
  • University College Dublin, Ireland
  • University of British Columbia, Canada
  • University of Washington, US
  • Yonsei University, South Korea

Previously approved courses

Please click below to see previously approved courses for students studying Architecture at exchange universities.

Disclaimer: Please note that you may only use this list as a guide for researching potential courses for your exchange.

Please download and sign the relevant Disclaimer Form below to acknowledge that at the end of your degree, any stage three BAS courses completed on exchange (and associated grades) will not be included in the Grade Point Average (GPA) calculation for admission to the Master of Architecture (Professional) degree.

Any courses you are approved to have credited back into your MArch (Prof) at the University of Auckland will be entered onto your record without the grades awarded by the overseas institution.

What you need to do

Please check on the host university’s course catalogue that the course/s are still offered in the semester you are intending to go on exchange. If the upcoming year’s course catalogue is not available, refer to the current or past course catalogues. Courses may be more likely, but not guaranteed, to be offered in the same semester in the following year.

Your courses need to be signed off by both the department adviser and the faculty. Once your Course Approval Form has been signed off by the department, provide your form to the Student Hubs for faculty approval from the Programme Adviser.

There may be other courses also available not listed here, but you need to check with the School before you go to ensure courses are approved by the department and faculty.

Where to get course info

You will need to visit the website of the university you are interested in going to on your exchange.

Who to contact