COMPASS works on a number of externally-funded research grants, from the following bodies.
- Ministry of Business, Innovation, and Employment (MBIE)
- Health Research Council of New Zealand
- Royal Society of New Zealand
- Ministry of Social Development
- Independent Māori Statutory Board
- Te Rā o te Waka Hourua
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade
- Worldwide Universities Network
- Jeanette Crossley Fellowship
- New Zealand Electoral Commission
- Victoria University of Wellington
- Auckland University of Technology
- University of Otago
- Durham University
Within the University of Auckland we also support researchers working on Faculty Research and Development Fund projects.