Our internship course places you with an employer for a semester to boost your Bachelor of Arts with workplace experience.
Get ahead before you graduate
Our internship course gives you the chance to gain work experience through undertaking a project in a real-world workplace. It is available in the third year of your Bachelor of Arts.
The course is career-oriented, and you will have the opportunity to develop and showcase a variety of transferable skills of value to the market place: critical thinking, analysis and writing, teamwork, communication and social media, data collection, translation and archival documentation.
Our students have undertaken projects with:
- Intelligent Ink
- Teach First NZ
- TEAR Fund
- Artists Alliance
- Transparency International
- The Creative Thinking Project
- Improve transferable skills for employability
- Develop research and analytical skills
- Develop professional experience in the presentation of results
- Develop professional networks
Internship projects can involve research concerning the organisation's strategic goals or core purpose. Students and the workplace mentor, in consultation with the academic supervisor, will develop a Work/Learning Plan that sets out the goals of the project. The results will be of value to the organisation and the student will be assessed on a version of these results.
The research undertaken for the internship placement will take place during ten weeks over the semester (6-8 hours per week) under the supervision of the academic supervisor and a workplace mentor.
- Enrolment at Stage III in a Bachelor of Arts degree at the University of Auckland
- Cumulative GPA minimum of B+ (6)
- Satisfactory completion of the application process
- Support letter from a Faculty of Arts academic sent to Internship Adviser Joe Barnes by the relevant closing date. Contact Joe via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Enrolment is limited, so applicants will be selected on the basis of GPA, application, supervisor support, and organisation availability.
Applications close two weeks before the start of the semester that the internship is running in.