External TeachNZ scholarships
A TeachNZ Scholarship could support your teaching journey by covering your fees and paying you an allowance while you study.
If you get the opportunity to receive a TeachNZ Scholarship, jump at it. This tautoko can really help change your life.
Students enrolling or enrolled in any of the following programmes are eligible:
- Bachelor of Education (Teaching)
- Graduate Diploma in Teaching (Early Childhood Education)
- Graduate Diploma in Teaching (Primary)
- Graduate Diploma in Teaching (Secondary)
There are scholarships available for undergraduates and graduates studying teaching across all settings: early learning, primary, secondary and Māori Medium.
The scholarship criteria takes into account areas that are experiencing teacher shortages such as:
- specific subjects; e.g. Science, Technology, Maths, Te Reo Māori
- specific sectors; e.g. Early Childhood Education, Secondary, Māori-Medium teaching
In 2021 there are five scholarship categories:
- Te Huawhiti Career Changer Scholarship - for those thinking of changing careers so the loss of income does not prevent you from studying to become a teacher.
- Te Huarau Scholarship - for anyone studying to become a teacher at any level.
- Te Waka Whakarei Career Changer Scholarship - for career changers wanting to teach te reo Māori or in Māori Medium settings.
- Te Tipu Whakarito Scholarship - for anyone studying to teach te reo Māori or in Māori Medium settings.
- Kupe Scholarships for Māori and Pacific High Achievers - for Māori and Pacific students who have aspirations to lead change and chart new territory in the education sector.
Tomai Ihaia's TeachNZ story
Tomai Ihaia won a TeachNZ Scholarship, allowing her to immerse herself in her Graduate Diploma in Teaching (Secondary) studies.