New Zealand Centre for Law and Business
The NZ Centre for Law and Business is a specialist centre within Auckland Law School.
About the Centre
The New Zealand Centre for Law and Business has as its primary aim the goal of facilitating interdisciplinary research connecting law and business, with a strong focus on the interface between the two.
The Centre focuses strongly on maintaining and building links and collaborations with the local legal, accountancy and business community, other research centres in New Zealand and overseas, as well as individual scholars at the University of Auckland and outside whose research falls within the field of law and business.
The New Zealand Centre for Law and Business also seeks to promote teaching and research which falls within the remit of the Centre. This includes both the business law elements of the Master of Laws (LLM) and its associated programme the Master of Legal Studies (MLS). Another important area of law is that studied in the Master of Taxation Studies (MTaxS) programme, which is designed for both law and commerce graduates who intend to make tax advocacy or tax consulting their career and who wish to extend their understanding of the theoretical issues and legal structures that underpin the taxation system.
The Centre also aims to establish and promote publications in the field of law and business.
The Patron of the New Zealand Centre for Law and Business is Sir Peter Blanchard. The Directors oversees the day-to-day activities of the Centre. The current Directors are Professor Craig Elliffe (Chair), Professor Julie Cassidy and Marcus Roberts. Other members comprise Auckland Law School, Business School academics and honorary members.
Recent past events
- Taxation: The Ticking Time Bomb of our Generation. Four questions for 2021
- Taxing the Digital Economy: Theory, Policy and Practice
- Who's doing what with your data? Information governance in a digital world (28 June 2021)
- International Tax Law and its Influence on National Tax Systems (14 July 2021)
- Reimagining Contract Law Pedagogy
- International Conference of Chinese Tax and Policy
- Future of Tax
- Competition Law in New Zealand book launch
- Taking Corporate Compliance Seriously
- US Tax Reform with Professor Reuven Avi-Yonah
- Equity Crowdfunding
- Reinterpreting Islamic Law on Issues from Women to War
- Global Financial Ethics in the Age of Trump
- India, China and Turbulence in International Trade Law and Policy
- The future of tax: The profession and tax policy
- Professor Martin Ruf, professor of International Business Taxation at the Business School of the University of Tuebingen in Germany, presented on Taxation and International Mergers and Acquisitions in late February 2017.
- Does copyright law in New Zealand support innovation, and has it kept up with changes in the internet and other technologies? Our seminar, hosted by InternetNZ and the Department of Commercial Law on 21 February 2017, explored those questions.
- Town and Gown Seminar: May 2016
- Town and Gown Seminar: August 2016
- Major Conference 2016
- Australasian Consumer Law Roundtable 2016
- An event was held in early September 2016 to mark 30 years of GST in New Zealand.
- Emeritus Professor John Carter presented a public lecture titled: The New Law of Penalties; which coincided with the launch of "Carter's Guide to New Zealand Contract Law" on Wednesday 19 October 2016 in Auckland.
The members of the New Zealand Centre for Law and Business have written extensively in the field of law and business. A full list of publications can be found under the individual profiles of Centre members.
- Professor Craig Elliffe
- Mr Matt Andrew
- Mr Rob Batty
- Professor Julie Cassidy
- Ms Nadia Dabee
- Mr Francis Dawson
- Professor Peter Devonshire
- Professor Michael Gedye
- Professor David Grinlinton
- Associate Professor Gehan Gunasekara
- Dr An Hertogen
- Mr Michael Josling
- Ms Nina Khouri
- Professor Michael Littlewood
- Mr Benjamin Liu
- Associate Professor Joanna Manning
- Professor Janet McLean
- Associate Professor Chris Nicoll
- Associate Professor Chris Noonan
- Dr Jane Norton
- Professor Tana Pistorius
- Dr Shirley Quo
- Mr Marcus Roberts
- Dr Arie Rosen
- Dr Jagdeep Singh-Ladhar
- Associate Professor Alex Sims
- Mr Paul Sumpter
- Professor Warren Swain
- Mr Alan Toy
- Dr Bram Van Wiele
- Professor Susan Watson
Auckland Law School
The University of Auckland
Private Bag 92019
Auckland Mail Centre
For more information, contact the Director, Professor Craig Elliffe, at Auckland Law School.
Phone: +64 (0) 9 923 8990