Study abroad in Japanese
Interested in improving your Japanese and learning more about the culture? Take a study abroad course and make it a reality.
Have the experience of a lifetime when you study Japanese in Japan. To be eligible you must be enrolled in the Japanese language programme at the University of Auckland.
Preference will be given to those majoring in Japanese or those planning to continue studying Japanese.
- To be eligible for JAPANESE 178, students must have a minimum B grade in JAPANESE 130.
- To be eligible for JAPANESE 277, students must have a minimum B- grade in JAPANESE 231.
- To be eligible for JAPANESE 278, students must have completed JAPANESE 277.
- To be eligible for JAPANESE 377, students must have a minimum B- grade in JAPANESE 331.
- To be eligible for JAPANESE 378, students must have completed JAPANESE 377.
Recommended language and culture courses in Japan
These courses/programmes only take place in Summer School:
- Tokyo University of Foreign Studies (TUFS) Short Stay Winter Programme (four weeks)
- Kansai College of Business and Languages in Osaka (five weeks, from beginning of January)
- Yamasa Institute near Nagoya (six weeks any time from November to February)
- Ritsumeikan Winter Japanese Program (RWJP) (five weeks)
- Ishikawa Japanese Studies Program (four weeks)
All applications have to be submitted to Language Study Abroad – Japanese in ViaTRM.
You are required to sit an assessment on your return to gain 15 points for the course.
Please make sure that you upload the following documents from the overseas institute on your CANVAS course:
- Official notification of overall result of the course
- Proof of attendance
- All marked assignments and tests
- Materials used (This may be hardcopies, which you need to bring back). Note: The first two items may be sent to the course coordinator directly from the institute.
You will be advised on the details of the assessment by your course coordinator.
If you have any questions on the assessment, please contact your course coordinator.
Eligibility to undertake two study abroad courses
This does not apply due to the structure of the programme provided by overseas institutes.
Immediately on return
Sit the pre-scheduled assessment test in Auckland and submit any other documentation from the overseas institute which cannot be uploaded on the CANVAS course to the course coordinator. Failure to do so will result in not receiving a grade for this course.