Publications and resources
- Robinson, V.M.J., Le Fevre, DL, & Sinnema, C.E.L. (eds) (2017). Open-to-learningTM Leadership: How to build trust while tackling tough issues. Melbourne, VIC: Hawker Brownlow Education.
- Robinson, V.M.J. (2011). Student-Centred Leadership. (Leadership library Series, Editor Andy Hargreaves). San Francisco: Jossey Bass. (Unsolicited and independent review). Baker, G. (2013). Review of Student-centered Leadership by Viviane Robinson. Education Review, 16 (July 29th)).
- Robinson, V. M. J. (2007). School leadership and student outcomes: Identifying what works and why. Winmalee, NSW: Australian Council for Educational Leaders: (Monograph 41, ACEL Monograph Series Editor David Gurr) 28 pages. (Reprinted in SPANZ: The Journal of the Secondary Principals Association of New Zealand, December 2008)
- Robinson, V.M.J. & Donald, R. (2014). On the job decision-making: Understanding and evaluating how leaders solve problems. In S. Chitpin and C. W. Evers, (Eds.) Decision-making in educational leadership: Principles, Policies, and Practices (pp. 93-108). London, UK: Routledge.
- Robinson, V.M.J. (2014). Three capabilities for student-centred leadership. In M. Grogan (Ed), The Jossey-Bass reader on educational leadership, (3 ed., pp. 297-316). San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass. (Reprinted from Robinson, V.M.J. (2011), Student-Centred Leadership. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass).
- Robinson, V.M.J. (2014). Single and double loop learning. In D. Phillips (Ed.) Encyclopaedia of Educational Theory and Philosophy. (pp. 754-756). Thousand Oaks, CA.: Sage. Read the author accepted version.
- Robinson, V.M.J. (2014). Theories of action. In D. Phillips (Ed.) Encyclopaedia of Educational Theory and Philosophy. (pp. 807-810). Thousand Oaks, CA.: Sage
- Robinson, V.M.J., Bendikson, L., & Hattie, J. (2011). Leadership and student outcomes: Are secondary schools unique? In J. Robertson, and H. Timperley (Eds.), Leadership and learning. (pp. 131-142). London, UK: Sage Publications visit here.
- Firestone, W. A., & Robinson, V.M.J. (2010). Research in educational leadership: Approaches and promising directions. In P. Peterson, E. Baker & B. McGaw (Eds.), International Encyclopedia of Education (Vol. 4, pp. 740-745). Oxford, UK: Elsevier.
- Le Fevre, D. M. (2010). Changing TACK: Talking about change knowledge for professional learning. In H. Timperley, & J. Parr (Eds.), Weaving evidence, inquiry and standards to build better schools (pp. 71-91). Wellington, New Zealand: NZCER Press
- Robinson, V.M.J. (2008). Fit for purpose: An educationally relevant account of distributed leadership. In A. Harris (Ed.), Distributed leadership: Different perspectives. (pp. 219-240). Berlin, Germany: Springer. doi: 10.1007/978-1-4020-9737-9
- Robinson, V.M.J., Irving. E., Eddy, D., & Le Fevre, D. (2008). Capability in the leadership of teaching and learning: The validity and utility of a self-assessment tool. In M. Brundrett & M. Crawford (Eds.), Developing school leaders. (pp.155-172). London, UK: Routledge.
- Robinson, V.M.J. (2007). The impact of leadership on student outcomes: Making sense of the evidence. In Australian Council for Educational Research (2007). The leadership challenge: Improving learning in schools. (Proceedings of the Australian Council for Educational Research Conference). (pp 12-16).
- Robinson, V.M.J. (2001). Embedding leadership in task performance. In K. Wong & C. W. Evers (Eds.), Leadership for quality schooling: International perspectives (pp. 90-102). London: Routledge Falmer. (Reprinted in H. Tomlinson (Ed.), Educational management: Major themes (pp.147-60). New York, NY: Routledge/ Falmer).
- Robinson, V.M.J., & Absolum, M. (1990). Leadership style and organisational problems. The case of a professional development programme. In N. Jones & N. Frederickson (Eds.), Refocusing educational psychology (pp. 31-54). London, UK: Falmer Press.
- Meyer, F., Le Fevre, D., & Robinson, V.M.J. (in press). How leaders communicate their vulnerability: Implications for trust building. International Journal of Educational Management.
- Sinnema, C., Ludlow, L. H., & Robinson, V. M. J. (2016). Educational Leadership Effectiveness: A Rasch Analysis. Journal of Educational Administration, 54(3), 305-339. doi:10.1108/JEA-12-2014-0140
- Le Fevre, D. M., Robinson, V. M. J., & Sinnema, C. (2014). Genuine inquiry: Widely espoused yet rarely enacted. Educational Management Administration & Leadership, 43(6), 883-899. doi: 10.1177/1741143214543204.
- Peeters, A., & Robinson, V. (2015). Learning how to learn from mistakes: Single and double-loop learning for facilitators of in-service teacher education. Studying Teacher Education, 11(03), 213-227. doi:10.1080/17425964.2015.1070728
- Sinnema, C. & Robinson, V. M. J. Ludlow and Pope (2015). How effective is the principal? Discrepancy between New Zealand teachers’ and principals’ perceptions of principal effectiveness. Educational Assessment, Evaluation and Accountability, 27(3), 275-30.
- Robinson, V.M.J., Sinnema, C., & Le Fevre, D. (2014). From Persuasion to learning: An intervention to improve leaders’ response to disagreement. Leadership and Policy in Schools, 13(3), 260-296. doi: 10.1080/15700763.2014.922997.
- Le Fevre, D., & Robinson, V.M.J. (2014). The interpersonal challenges of instructional leadership: Principals’ effectiveness in conversations about performance issues. Educational Administration Quarterly doi 10.1177/0013161X13518218.
- Sinnema, C., Le Fevre, D., Robinson, V.M.J., Pope, D. (2013). When others’ performance just isn’t good enough: Educational leaders’ framing of concerns in private and public. Leadership and Policy in Schools, 12 (4), 301-336. doi: 10.1080/15700763.2013.857419.
- Bendikson, L., Hattie, J., & Robinson, V.M.J. (2012). Principal instructional leadership and secondary school performance. SET: Research Information for Teachers, 2012(1), 2-8.
- Seashore-Louis, K. & Robinson, V. M. J. (2012). External mandates and instructional leadership: School leaders as mediating agents. Journal of Educational Administration, 50(5), 629-665. doi: 10.1108/09578231211249853.
Sinnema, C. & Robinson, V.M. J. (2012) Goal setting in principal evaluation: Goal quality and predictors of achievement. Leadership and Policy in Schools, 11(2), 135-167. doi: 10.1080/15700763.2011.629767.
- Emstad, A. & Robinson, V. M. J. (2011). The role of leadership in evaluation utilization: Cases from Norwegian primary schools. Nordic Studies in Education, 31(4), 245-257.
- Robinson, V. M. J. & Le Fevre, D. (2011). Principals’ capability in challenging conversations: The case of parental complaints. Journal of Educational Administration, 49 (3), 227-255. doi: 10.1108/09578231111129046 (This article won the Ross Thomas award for the best article in the volume year as judged by the members of the editorial board).
- Robinson, V.M. J., Mc Naughton, S & Timperley, H. (2011). Building capacity in a self-managing schooling system: The New Zealand experience. Journal of Educational Administration, 49 (6), 720-738. doi: 10.1108/09578231111174848.
- Robinson, V. M. J. (2010). From instructional leadership to leadership capabilities: Empirical findings and methodological challenges. Leadership and Policy in Schools, 9(1), 1-26. doi: 10.1080/15700760903026748 (This article was included in the “Class of 2011”, meaning it was the most downloaded article published in 2011 in Leadership and Policy in Schools).
- Hohepa, M. & Robinson, V. M. J. (2008). Māori and educational leadership: Tū rangatira. AlterNative. An International Journal of Indigenous Scholarship, 4 (2), 20-38.
- Robinson, V. M. J. (2008). Forging the links between distributed leadership and educational outcomes. Journal of Educational Administration. (Special Issue on Distributed Leadership), 46 (2), 241-256. doi: 10.1108/09578230810863299.
- Robinson, V. M. J., Lloyd, C. & Rowe, K. (2008). The impact of leadership on student outcomes. An analysis of the differential effects of leadership types. Educational Administration Quarterly, 44(5), 635-674. doi: 10.1177/0013161X08321509 (Recipient of the William J Davis Award, 2009, presented by the Editorial Board of the Educational Administration Quarterly for the most outstanding paper published in the journal during the preceding volume. Reprinted in English, F. W., Lumby, J., Papa, R., Samier, E., & Walker, J. (Eds.). (2008). Educational Leadership and Administration. London: Sage and in Wise, C., Bradshaw & Cartwright, M. (2013). Leading Professional Practice in Education. London: Sage and Open University Press).
- Robinson, V. M. J. & Timperley, H. S. (2007). The leadership of the improvement of teaching and learning: Lessons from initiatives with positive outcomes for students. Australian Journal of Education, 51 (3), 247-262. doi: 10.1177/000494410705100303
- Sinnema, C., & Robinson, V.M.J. (2007). The leadership of teaching and learning: Implications for teacher evaluation. Leadership and Policy in Schools, 6 (4), 1-25. doi: 10.1080/15700760701431603.
- Robinson, V.M.J., Eddy, D., & Irving, E. (2006). Catering for diversity in a principal induction programme. School Leadership and Management, 26 (2), 149-167. doi: 10.1080/13634230600589691.
- Robinson, V.M.J. (2006). Putting education back into educational leadership. Leading & Managing, 12(1), 62-75. (Reprinted in 2012 as Vol. 2, in Asia Pacific Centre for Leadership and Change Monograph Series, Hong Kong: Hong Kong Institute of Education).
- Robinson, V.M.J. (2004). New understandings of educational leadership. SET: Research Information for Teachers, (3), 39-43.
- Robinson, V.M.J. (2001). Descriptive and normative research on organizational learning: Locating the contribution of Argyris and Schön. The International Journal of Educational Management, 15, 58-67. doi:10.1108/EUM0000000005395.
- Robinson, V. M. J., Hohepa. M. & Lloyd, C. (2008). School leadership and student outcomes: Identifying what works and why. Final report to the Ministry of Education. Auckland; Auckland Uniservices, 220 pages. visit here
- Lloyd, C. Robinson, V. M. J., Jones, D. & Bendall, M. (2006). Mentoring principals for improved instructional leadership. (Evaluation Report for TVNZ). Auckland Uniservices.
Selected conference presentations
- Robinson, V.M.J., Meyer, F., Sinnema, C., & Le Fevre, D. (2016). Truth-seeking or truth-claiming? Leaders’ patterns of social problem-solving. Paper to be presented at the AERA annual meeting, Washington D.C., US.
- Meyer, F., Robinson, V.M.J., Sinnema, C., & Patuawa, J. (2016). Practices of and challenges for novice principals in setting goals for school improvement. Paper to be presented at the AERA annual meeting, Washington D.C., US.
- Le Fevre, D., Robinson, V.M.J., & Meyer, F. (2016). Developing effective leadership conversations: The significance of open-mindedness. Paper to be presented at the AERA annual meeting, Washington D.C., US.
- Robinson, V.M.J., (2016). Leadership capabilities for system transformation. Global Dialogue Event with Steve Munby, Michael Fullan, John Hattie, Viviane Robinson and Tony Mackay. (Education Development Trust)
- Huber, S., & Robinson, V.M.J. (2016). World school leadership study: Practices and resilience. Symposium presentation at European Conference for Educational Research, Dublin, August 2016.