Work as a Graduate Teaching Assistant
You can apply to work as a GTA during your time as a postgraduate student in Arts.
We are seeking expressions of interest for Graduate Teaching Assistants (GTAs) for 2021.
The role of the GTA is to provide assistance in the delivery of courses to undergraduate students. In this role, you will run tutorials or language streams, supervise field or lab work, assist with marking and may also present the occasional lecture.
The GTA position offers a fantastic opportunity to work in an academic environment while pursuing further studies in your chosen area.
Eligibility to work as a GTA
To be eligible for a GTA position, you must:
- Be enrolled in a postgraduate programme at the University of Auckland (or transitioning/awaiting final marks with the intention to enrol in further study)
- Have capacity to tutor without impeding your own studies
- Have the right to work in New Zealand
Points to note before you apply
- You will need to be available to attend a compulsory training day in the week preceding the start of Semester 1 and 2 next year
- Your duties may include teaching/facilitating tutorials or delivering a language stream, and/or delivery of a limited number of lectures and/or seminars and the associated preparation; assignment and/or examination marking; lecture attendance; regular student consultation hours, course administration including working with the University's learning management system, CANVAS, and attending meetings.
- If you have a scholarship you must comply with the relevant scholarship regulations. If you get a scholarship while working as a GTA you must inform the Head of School and Scholarships Office of any change in status.
- We recommend that you apply for your postgraduate programme before submitting your Expression of Interest to work as a GTA to increase your chances of being considered for a GTA position.
- We usually employ masters and doctoral students as GTAs, but will sometimes consider honours and postgraduate diploma students as well.
Before you click on the expression of interest link below, keep your CV and academic record ready, preferably in pdf format.
While you can indicate your interest to be a GTA at any time, below are three cut-off dates for the selection process:
- Sunday 11 October 2020
- Sunday 31 January 2021
- Monday 31 May 2021