External TeachNZ scholarships
A TeachNZ Scholarship could support your teaching journey by covering your fees and paying you an allowance while you study.
Students enrolling or enrolled in any approved Initial Teacher Education Programme (such as the Bachelor of Education or Graduate Diploma in Teaching) are eligible.
There are scholarships available for undergraduates and graduates studying teaching across all settings: early learning, primary, secondary and Māori Medium.
The scholarship criteria takes into account areas that are experiencing teacher shortages such as:
- specific subjects; e.g. Science, Technology, Maths, Te Reo Māori
- specific sectors; e.g. Early Childhood Education, Primary, Secondary, Māori-Medium teaching
- specific regions or settings; e.g. Auckland, Southland, Gisborne/East Coast, rural and isolated schools.
In 2020 there are five scholarship categories:
- Te Huawhiti Career Changer Scholarship - for those thinking of changing careers so the loss of income does not prevent you from studying to become a teacher.
- Te Huarau Scholarship - for any one studying to become a teacher at any level.
- Te Waka Whakarei Career Changer Scholarship - for career changers wanting to teach te reo Māori or in Māori Medium settings.
- Te Tipu Whakarito Scholarship - for any one studying to teach te reo Māori or in Māori Medium settings.
- Kupe Scholarships for Māori and Pacific High Achievers - 30 scholarships are awarded to Māori and Pacific students who have aspirations to lead change and chart new territory in the education sector.
- Round 1 opens on 19 August 2019 and closes on 4 October 2019
- Round 2 opens on 6 December 2019 and closes on 24 January 2020.
- Round 3 opens on 3 April 2020 and closes on 5 June 2020.
Applicants can apply for multiple scholarships, but can only be granted one. You do not need to be enrolled already in an approved teaching programme when applying for a scholarship, unless you are applying for a Kupe Scholarship.
For detailed information and how to apply, visit TeachNZ Scholarships.