External TeachNZ scholarships
A TeachNZ Scholarship could support your teaching journey by covering your fees and paying you an allowance while you study.
If you get the opportunity to receive a TeachNZ Scholarship, jump at it. This tautoko can really help change your life.
Students enrolling or enrolled in any of the following programmes are eligible:
- Bachelor of Education (Teaching)
- Graduate Diploma in Teaching (Early Childhood Education)
- Graduate Diploma in Teaching (Primary)
- Graduate Diploma in Teaching (Secondary)
There are scholarships available for undergraduates and graduates studying teaching across all settings: early learning, primary, secondary and Māori Medium.
The scholarship criteria takes into account areas that are experiencing teacher shortages such as:
- specific subjects; e.g. Science, Technology, Maths, Te Reo Māori
- specific sectors; e.g. Early Childhood Education, Secondary, Māori-Medium teaching
Apply with five scholarship categories:
- Te Huawhiti Career Changer Scholarship - for those thinking of changing careers so the loss of income does not prevent you from studying to become a teacher.
- Te Huarau Scholarship - for anyone studying to become a teacher at any level.
- Te Waka Whakarei Career Changer Scholarship - for career changers wanting to teach te reo Māori or in Māori Medium settings.
- Te Tipu Whakarito Scholarship - for anyone studying to teach te reo Māori or in Māori Medium settings.
- Kupe Scholarships for Māori and Pacific High Achievers - for Māori and Pacific students who have aspirations to lead change and chart new territory in the education sector.
Te Huarau Scholarship, Te Tipu Whakarito Scholarship and Kupe Scholarships for Māori and Pacific High Achievers will open for applications from 1 February 2022.
Tomai Ihaia's TeachNZ story
Tomai Ihaia won a TeachNZ Scholarship, allowing her to immerse herself in her Graduate Diploma in Teaching (Secondary) studies.