If your rank score is below our guaranteed admission level and you're not eligible for the Targeted Admission Scheme, Conditional Admission might be your pathway to a Bachelor of Arts.
Who is eligible for Conditional Admission?
The following applicants are eligible for Conditional Admission to the Bachelor of Arts:
- School leaver applicants with NCEA rank scores between 130 and 149, or CIE rank scores between 125 and 149, who are not eligible for the Faculty of Arts Targeted Admission Scheme.
- Transferring students with a Grade Point Average or Grade Point Equivalent between 2 and 2.4 who are not eligible for the Faculty of Arts Targeted Admission Scheme.
Other applicants with no prior tertiary-level study will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
If you are admitted under CAS, the following conditions will apply to your first two semesters of enrolment:
- You must attend a compulsory Faculty of Arts CAS enrolment fono/hui in order to complete your enrolment. You will be advised of the date, and if you do not attend we cannot enrol you.
- You must attend the Faculty of Arts orientation programme.
- You must complete DELNA. DELNA helps determine which Academic English course you should take in your first semester, and identify any necessary language support courses as a required component of your enrolment.
- You must participate in the Tuākana programme (for Māori and Pacific students), or other specified support programmes.
- You must attend CAS workshops held through the semester (your Student Support Adviser will contact you regarding when these will be held).
- Students who declare a disability will be required to register with the Student Disability Services.
- You may enrol in no more than four courses (60 points) in the first and second semester.
- In the first semester you will be required to enrol in an Academic English course as recommended from the DELNA (Diagnostic English Language Needs Assessment).
- If you do not pass your required Academic English course in your first semester, you will need to retake and pass it in your second semester.
- If you do not pass your required Academic English course in your first two semesters of study, your enrolment will be discontinued.
- In the first semester of 2019 you will also be required to enrol in one of the following courses: ASIAN 100, CLASSICS 110, HISTORY 107, MAORI 130, PACIFIC 100, POLITICS 107 or SOCIOL 100.
- You may enrol in one course in your first semester from a subject for the BA that is out-of-faculty (i.e. Geography, Psychology, Economics, Mathematics, Statistics or Education) AND/OR one General Education course (e.g., Law 121G).
- You will be subject to Academic Standing rules in the same way as other students. This means that if you fail 50 percent or more of your courses in any semester, you will deemed to be at risk. If you repeat this pattern in the following semester you will be put on restriction and limited to three courses in that semester. If you repeat the pattern of failing 50 percent or more of your courses for a third time in a row then you will be suspended and not permitted to return to study for a 12 month period. A right of appeal is granted to students when they are put on restriction and/or suspended.
How to apply
- Apply for your BA online as normal. We'll calculate your rank score as part of the admission process.
- If your rank score falls within the eligible ranges, you will automatically be considered for Conditional Admission.
Help and advice
If you have further questions, get in touch with the Arts Students’ Centre.