About the School of Counselling, Human Services and Social Work
Welcome to the School of Counselling, Human Services and Social Work Te Kura Tauwhiro Tangata.
"E raka te mauī, e raka te katau — A community can use all the skills of its people"
The School of Counselling, Human Services and Social Work brings together academic staff with expertise in teaching, scholarship, research and practice in the main disciplines of social work, counselling, disability support, youth work and human services. We teach undergraduate programmes in Social Work and Human Services and postgraduate programmes in Social Work, Counselling, Professional Supervision and Social and Community Leadership.
Our research interests include:
- Social work practice in the fields of child protection, mental health, health and youth services
- Pasifika development
- Disability support and advocacy
- Subjective wellbeing and quality of life
- Youth work
- Grief, loss and bereavement
- Migration studies
- Organisations and management
- Children’s experience of stress
- Professional supervision
- Continuing education and professionalisation
- Sexuality and gender studies
- Sociology and social policy.
We have links with The University of Auckland Centre for Child and Family Research.
Our School shares a unifying belief that people of integrity, who possess excellent skills, have a strong ethical base and commitment to social justice, can make a positive difference supporting those who face challenges to lead fulfilling lives. The graduates of our programmes listen closely to the individuals, families and communities to whom they provide a service.
Currently our programmes include:
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Social Work (Honours)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Professional Supervision
- Postgraduate Certificate in Social and Community Leadership
- Postgraduate Diploma in Professional Supervision
- Postgraduate Diploma in Social Work
- Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling Theory
- Master of Social and Community Leadership
- Master of Social Work
- Master of Social Work (Professional)
- Master of Counselling
- PhD in Social Work