External TeachNZ scholarships
TeachNZ offers scholarships for student teachers in subjects and communities where there's a shortage of teachers.
The aim of TeachNZ scholarships is to provide funding to students who are under-represented in teaching and for teachers of subject areas or from communities where there are skill shortages.
The scholarship criteria takes into account areas that are experiencing teacher shortages such as:
- specific subjects; e.g. Science, Technology, Maths, Te Reo Māori
- specific sectors; e.g. Early Childhood Education, Primary, Secondary, Māori-Medium teaching
- specific regions or settings; e.g. Auckland, Southland, Gisborne/East Coast, rural and isolated schools.
In 2019 there are eight scholarships available:
- Kupe Māori and Pacific High Achievers
- Māori Medium (Primary)
- Te Reo Māori (Secondary or Wharekura)
- Early Childhood Education - Undergraduate and Graduate
- Early Childhood Education - Māori and Pacific Languages
- Science, Technology, Maths (Secondary)
- Career Changer - Māori Medium (Primary)
- Career Changer - Te Reo Māori (Secondary or Wharekura)
- Round 1 opens 17 September 2018, and closes 26 October 2018
- Round 2 opens 17 December 2018, and closes 22 February 2019
- Round 3 opens 6 May 2019, and closes 14 June 2019.
Applicants can apply for multiple scholarships, but can only be granted one. You do not need to be enrolled already in an approved teaching programme when applying for a scholarship, unless you are applying for a Kupe Scholarship.
For detailed information and how to apply, visit TeachNZ Scholarships.