Part I Assistance Centre
The Faculty employs current, high-achieving Part II and III students to provide free academic assistance and tutoring to Part I students on a drop-in basis, covering all Part I courses during Summer School, Semester One and Semester Two.
The Part I Assistance Centre is located in the Leech Study Area in Level 3, Building 401 of the Faculty of Engineering's Central Campus.
For Semester One our opening hours (excluding breaks and public holidays) are:
- Monday to Friday, 2-5pm (starting second week of semester, during teaching weeks only)
Our cohort of mentors are happy to help you. They receive training and maintain close contact with course coordinators for all Part I courses throughout the semester. They will have resources on hand, including copies of course books, to help you with any of your queries.
We encourage you to take advantage of this service whether you're struggling or not - after all, they can just as easily help you turn that ‘B’ into an ‘A+’ as they can help you with a pass when you risk a fail. While we can’t help you with your actual assignments, we can guide you through similar example problems in your course handbooks.
The mentors are also happy to speak with you about your choice of specialisation for Part II. They can offer insights into what their own specialisation involves, why they chose it and what’s good about it.
Interested in becoming a peer mentor?
Part I Assistance peer mentors provide academic support to our Part I students. We look to our most academically able students - with a GPA of 6.0 or above - to help support other Engineering students in their transition to university life.
All current Part II and III students are welcome to apply. However, those in specialisations related to Part I first semester papers may be favoured.
Semester One 2019
- ENGGEN 121 Engineering Mechanics
- ENGGEN 140 Engineering Biology and Chemistry
- ENGSCI 111 Mathematical Modelling 1
- ENGGEN 115 Principles of Engineering Design
In recognition of the contribution peer mentors make, the Faculty and Department provides the following support to ensure your experience as a Part I Mentor is as positive as possible:
- Close collaboration with members of the Part I Course teams
- An official citation of service and certificate from the Dean of Engineering acknowledging your contribution
- Payment for the hours spent as a Part I Mentor (with a rate of $18.92 per hour)
Appointment is not guaranteed, as applications for the role of Part I Mentors usually exceed the number of shifts available. Appointments are made on a semester-by-semester basis and based on a combination of your application, availability and agreement to the following conditions:
- Availability for and attendance at Part I Mentor training and paid feedback sessions
- Availability for a minimum of a single two-hour shift per week
- Commitment to completing a brief online summary of mentoring activity after the end of each shift on a shared Piazza Forum
- Commitment to maintaining accurate records of all assistance provided to demonstrate effectiveness of Part I Assistance Centre
- Commitment to help promote the services of the Part I Assistance Centre through brief presentations to first year students
- Commitment to wearing branded clothing during your shifts to help promote the visibility of the Part I Assistance Centre service
Previous experience in mentoring in groups such as Uniguides, STEPS, SPIES or HKESA, or tutoring for private organisation, is essential.
If you’re interested in becoming a Peer Mentor or would like more information, get in touch with our Student Support Adviser Alcione Fagundes.