Opening hours and access information for the Engineering building and laboratories.
The main doors to the building will be open and operational from 7.30am-6.30pm.
These hours also apply to all study areas and computer labs.
- You will need your swipe card to enter and exit the building between 7-7.30am and 6.30pm-midnight. During these times, you may only enter/exit the building by Door 401.2.00C1 (Level 2 leading from the staff car-park), or Door 401.3.00L1/1 (Level 3 leading in from the subway).
- Security officers will do a security sweep at 11.45pm on all days to remind students that they have to vacate the building by midnight.
- Swipe cards will not open any internal or external doors after midnight.
Access to laboratories after-hours is strictly by authorisation of individual departments and must meet the following guidelines and considerations.
Workshops and laboratories require specific risk assessments due to the nature of higher risk activities that may be undertaken. Such risk assessments must meet the conditions of Workshop Safety Guidelines and the HASNO Exempt Laboratory requirements to allow approval for after-hours access.
A laboratory manager or nominated person in charge must be present at all times when laboratory work is undertaken. This is to ensure the safety of users when undertaking activities that have increased potential risk, and to have:
- Appropriate emergency response and support available.
- Monitored environmental, experiment and equipment operations.
- Confirmation that people are not operating alone and are not fatigued.
The passenger lifts will be operational for students from:
- 7.30am - 5.30pm for all levels in the Engineering Building from Monday to Friday.
- 7-7.30am and then from 5.30pm to midnight between Levels 3 and 4 only from Monday to Friday.
- 7am to midnight between Levels 3 and 4 on Saturdays, Sundays, statutory holidays and University holidays.
An access card can be collected at the Faculty Information Hub, Level 5, Building 401.
The card is not transferable under any circumstances.
You can use your access card until the completion of your studies and then it must be returned. At the beginning of every academic year your card will need to be renewed. Renew your card using the online form and entering your new details.
After you have purchased your card, use the Online form to Request Card Activation.
Once you have submitted the request, it can take up to two weeks before your card is activated.
If you lose your card or it is stolen, please report it to the Security Office on ext 85000.
A replacement card can be purchased at a cost of $25, once the loss has been reported. This is a one-off payment and is not a deposit. There will be no refunds at any time.