School of Architecture and Planning Centenary
On 7-9 September 2017, the School of Architecture and Planning celebrated its centenary.
Alumni of the school and interested others were invited to a series of events to mark the occasion. All were included in the NZIA's annual Festival of Architecture:
- Thursday 7 September, 4-6pm: the opening of an exhibition of current student work in the Level 3 Exhibition Space at 26 Symonds Street, combined with the opening of a new and expanded edition of the Architecture + Women New Zealand Timeline on Level 2. With catering thanks to the Festival of Architecture
- Friday 8 September, 8.30am-4pm: a symposium titled "Educating Architects and Planners, 1917-2017," to be held in the Conference Centre, 22 Symonds Street. Symposium programme
- Friday 8 September, 5.30-7.30pm: the opening of an exhibition on the history of the School at the Gus Fisher Gallery, including also the launch of a book on the School, written by staff and titled The Auckland School: 100 Years of Architecture and Planning. Sponsorship thanks to the Block Foundation and the Warren Trust
- Saturday 9 September, 9am-4pm: Friday's symposium continued until 11am, followed by a series of panel discussions bringing together groups of alumni from different generations, held in the Conference Centre, 22 Symonds Street. Catering thanks to the Festival of Architecture
- Saturday 9 September, from 6.30pm: an alumni gala dinner, at the Pullman Hotel in Waterloo Quadrant. Sponsorship thanks to APL and Metro Performance Glass
- Sunday 10 September: alumni reconnected with old classmates
How to buy the School centenary book, The Auckland School
If you have computer access and are able to visit the School at 26 Symonds Street, you can buy the book from our Faculty online shop and collect it from the Student Centre on Level 2 of our building. See Creative Store - 100 Years of Architecture and Planning.
If you are not able to visit the School, you can buy the book from:
- The Booklover, Shop 2, 1 Milford Road, Milford, North Shore
- Time Out Bookshop, 432 Mt Eden Road, Mt Eden, Auckland
- ubiq, the University bookshop, Kate Edger Centre, 2 Alfred Street, Auckland
- Dear Reader, 436 Richmond Road, Grey Lynn, Auckland
- Unity Books, 19 High Street, Auckland
- Aalto Books (for delivery)
Stay up to date
To keep up with information on our centenary events and activities, add your details here to receive our Centenary updates.
You can also join our Facebook page for ongoing discussion of the School's 100 years. We invite you to share the page and contribute photographs and comments.