Frequently Asked Questions

Common questions about postgraduate studies with the Faculty of Engineering

Which courses do I need to choose for my study? 

Please refer to the programme regulations for your degree to check the requirements. 

The list of courses offered for all programmes and specialisations in 2022 will be available later this year on our website

Enrolment for 2022 opened on Monday 1 November 2021. 

What is the honours eligibility criteria for taught Masters degrees in the Faculty of Engineering?

To receive a class of honours for the masters degrees (taught programme) you must pass a research project of at least 30 points, and your overall Grade Point Average (GPA) must meet the following standards:

  • First Class Honours: GPA of 7.0 or above
  • Second Class Honours (first division): GPA of 5.5 – 6.9
  • Second Class Honours (second division): GPA of 4.0 – 5.4

If you do not complete a research project of at least 30 points, your degree may be awarded with Distinction or Merit if your overall GPA meets the following standards:

  • Distinction: GPA of 7.0 or above
  • Merit: GPA of 5.5 – 6.9

For information on how honours are calculated please see Standards for the Award of Honours.

How do I get a copy of the postgraduate engineering prospectus?

You can find a copy of our postgraduate prospectus at Prospectuses and guides

If you have any questions about your courses, you can get in touch with the relevant academic adviser

What is the difference between the Master of Engineering and Master of Engineering Studies?

The Master of Engineering (ME) degree is a research-based programme comprising entirely of a thesis (120-point programme), or it may be a combination of 60-point taught and 120-point thesis (180-point programme). This programme is offered in a number of specialisations. For more information, please refer to the Master of Engineering in the resource list.

The Master of Engineering Studies (MEngSt) degree is a course-based programme with the option to include a 15, 30 or 45 point research project, offered in a number of specialisations. Food Engineering and Medical Devices and Technologies specialisations have both taught and research master options.

How do I submit my engineering 120-point masters thesis or 90-point research portfolio? 

Please submit your thesis/research portfolio on a USB drive to the Student Hub by 4pm on the due date.

*Note: If your due date falls on a weekend or a public holiday, you may submit your thesis/research portfolio by 4pm on the next working day.

For a detailed guide to Masters thesis submission, including information about formatting and binding, please consult the Guide to Theses and Dissertations. 

How do I request an extension to submit my thesis/research portfolio/research project? 

Students who wish to apply for an extension of time for submission of thesis/research portfolio/research project will need to fill out the Application for Extension of Time (AS-503) online. The form can be accessed on the Forms for Students page.

Can I suspend my enrolment in a postgraduate engineering programme? 

If you are enrolled in a postgraduate engineering programme and wish to suspend your studies for one or two semesters, you must fill out the Application for Senate Approval of Suspension from Enrolment (AS-502) online. The form can be accessed on the Forms for Students page.

What specialisations are available in the Master of Engineering Studies degree? 

The Master of Engineering Studies programme is available in the following specialisations:

  • Chemical and Materials Engineering
  • Civil Engineering
  • Computer Systems Engineering
  • Construction Management
  • Electrical and Electronic Engineering
  • Engineering Science
  • Environmental Engineering
  • Food Engineering
  • Geotechnical Engineering
  • Mechanical Engineering
  • Mechatronics Engineering
  • Medical Devices and Technologies
  • Polymer Engineering
  • Software Engineering
  • Sustainable Resource Recovery
  • Transportation Engineering