Other undergraduate entry pathways
We encourage all motivated, committed students to apply for the BE(Hons). If you want to return later in life to study, or have been unable to gain entry into the programme based on your previous academic qualifications, there are other pathways into studying Engineering with us.
Note that all applications are subject to spaces available.
Direct entry into Part II
You may apply for direct entry into Part II if you complete one of the following:
- The first year of a BE programme at any other New Zealand tertiary institution, with at least a B average
- A two-year New Zealand Diploma of Engineering with a minimum of a B average
- The academic component of the NZ Certificate of Engineering
Recognition of Prior Academic Study (RoPAS)
We accept applications from students transferring from other tertiary institutions, with the following conditions:
- Admission to the University of Auckland, which requires an assessment of your results to determine your eligibility
- The BE(Hons) entry requirements, which includes a minimum of a B average in your most recent and highest level of full-time study, and a sound background in Calculus and Physics
If you are applying for credit for study undertaken at an overseas tertiary institution. You may be required to supply the following documentation:
- Statement about the degree or diploma structure
- Statement about the grading system
- Syllabus or course outline for each paper studied, including a statement of the number of teaching hours, title of prescribed textbooks and method of assessment
You may also choose to begin your pathway into engineering through:
- The Tertiary Foundation Certificate Programme. This one year, full-time programme is offered by the University and suits those who do not have a university entrance qualification. To gain entry into Part I of the BE(Hons), you must complete the TFC with a minimum of A- average overall, and a minimum of A- in MATHS 94F and PHYSICS 92F.
- The New Zealand Diploma of Engineering (NZDE). This is an ideal pathway for many candidates: you can enrol with your Year 12 NCEA qualifications, it is offered by several tertiary education institutes, and stands alone as an employable qualification after two years of study. To transfer to the BE(Hons), you’ll need to complete this diploma with at least a B average. As many NZDE programmes only include a level 4 Engineering Maths course, transferring students accepted into the BE(hons) would be required to complete the BE(Hons) course ENGSCI 111 – Mathematical Modelling 1.