Consumer behaviour research focuses on the study of consumers and consumption-related issues.
Contemporary issues include consumers’ experiences and responses to marketing communications, packaging, design and companies’ social responsibility efforts, and the impact of the computer-mediated environment.
Research in these areas encompasses the following domains:
- Consumers in the digital environment - How the digital environment differs from the physical environment and how digital technology affects relationships with consumers.
- Consumers’ responses to marketing communications - How consumers read advertising texts, process advertising messages, and respond to messages embedded in entertainment content.
- Consumers’ experience of shopping - How consumers construct the shopping experience, what motivates their shopping behaviour, and what happens when their expectations are disconfirmed.
- Consumers’ experience of possessions and place - How do ritual, possession meaning, and self-conceptualisation influence consumers’ attachments to possessions and places?
- Ethics and corporate social responsibility (CSR) - How consumers react to companies’ CSR efforts.