Whakananua tō Mātauranga ki te ihi o Tūpuna, hei hīringa mō te korito e toko ake ai te ao Māori. | Infuse your knowledge with the wisdom and power of your ancestors to grow the tender shoots that build a Māori world.
Māori Development is offered as a specialisation within the Postgraduate Diploma in Business.
It is designed to build on the knowledge and skills of Māori leaders, executives, entrepreneurs, business managers and administrators who are engaged in Māori business development and provides a formal business qualification to contribute at a senior level within a kaupapa Māori framework.
This qualification is part of the Te Tohu Huanga Māori Business development programme and can lead to higher study. It also attracts other New Zealanders who wish to learn how to work more effectively with Māori and within the Māori economy.
Please note, there is no intake for 2022 for this specialisation.
Programme Director Kiri Dell invites current and aspiring leaders to be part of this innovative programme that benefits the Māori economy.
You will complete one course during each 10-week quarter over two years.
The programme is delivered using a combination of regional wānanga and online learning.
You must complete a minimum of 120 points of courses from the specialisation in Māori Development.
Sample programme structure:
Taught: 120 points
Year 1: 60 points:
- MAORIDEV 720 Whai Rawa: Māori Economies
- MAORIDEV 731 Te Whakamana Rōpū Māori: Governance and Management
- MAORIDEV 732 Whakatairanga Huanga Māori: Marketing
- MAORIDEV 722 Tikanga Ture mo ngā Huanga Māori: Legal Studies
Year 2: 60 points
- MAORIDEV 734 Whakatakinga Tahua Huanga Māori: Accounting and Finance
- MAORIDEV 721 Te Whakapakari Huanga Māori: Māori Entrepreneurship
- MAORIDEV 733 Tātaritanga Huhua: Quantitative Analysis
- MAORIDEV 738 Tikanga Māhere i te Ao Māori: Strategy
You must be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident and have one of the following:
- An undergraduate degree from a recognised university (or similar institution), or equivalent professional level qualification, and at least two years’ relevant work experience.
- At least five years' relevant work experience.
Where could this programme take you?
The Postgraduate Diploma in Business in Māori Development will develop your leadership skills to help you advance your career. Upon completing the PGDipBus, you may be eligible to apply for admission to the University of Auckland 180 point MBA,120 point MBusDev and 120 point MBM.
Further study options:
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Master of Business Development (MBusDev)
- Master of Business Management (MBM)
Scholarships and awards
PGDipBus students may be eligible for the Government’s Fees Free. Check your eligibility on the Tertiary Education Commission’s website.
He Hua Kauanuanu Study Grant
All PGDipBus in Māori Development students are eligible for this study grant of $6,205, which is paid toward programme fees, with $3,105.50 awarded upon successful completion of each study year. The grant is awarded by the Dean of the Business School to support the fulfilment of individual and collective potential and to help the Māori economy bear fruit.
Sir Hugh Kawharu Foundation PGDipBus Māori Development Award
This scholarship is awarded annually to one student, who will receive $2,500 per year towards programme fees. The scholarship was established to encourage and support a Māori student to undertake the PGDipBus in Māori Development.
BNZ PGDipBus Māori Development Award
An Award of up to $3,000 per year for students enrolled in a PGDipBus in Māori Development.
Māori and Pacific scholarships and awards
There is a wide range of scholarships, awards and grants available to Māori and Pacific students.