Where to look for a job
Organisations look to recruit new interns and graduates every year. You can start your job search by regularly reading BizStudent Update, subscribing to email alerts and looking at job advertisements every day.
You probably know about some of the places employers advertise jobs, but do make sure you've got all the bases covered and are keeping an eye on all of them.
- A comprehensive list of the places you'll find jobs advertised is available at Careers New Zealand. You can search general and industry specific job vacancy websites, student and graduate sites, sites for migrants and a voluntary work section.
- Develop a list of organisations you would like to work for and regularly check their websites.
- Many organisations run presentations and workshops here on campus to help you learn more about their business, the opportunities available and how to apply. These events are advertised in BizStudent Update.
BizStudent Update newsletter
Check your email inbox on Thursday for our BizStudent Update newsletter so that you keep up-to-date with opportunities. In it you will find details of:
- What's on at the Business School
- Career workshops
- Internships and part-time opportunities
- Full-time opportunities
- Club activities
Student and graduate job search websites (NZ)
- Business School student career platform
The Business School Careers Centre has collaborated with EFMD Global Network to offer you your very own international career platform, connecting you with global internship and graduate positions from companies around the world including Daimler, L’Oreal, Microsoft, Bayer and Amazon, among others.
- United Nations Careers
Internships available throughout the United Nations.
There is more to looking for jobs than searching job advertisements and applying to graduate schemes. It is estimated that almost half of all jobs are never actually advertised. To find out how to crack this "invisible" job market visit How to find a job: The invisible job market.
Graduate recruitment schemes
Many major employers run graduate recruitment schemes every year. Some employ only one or two graduates a year, others hire dozens.
Most of these organisations come direct to the Business School Careers Centre and we advertise them in BizStudent Update which is emailed to you weekly. Some also advertise through MyCDES. Many run presentations, information evenings and skills workshops here on campus to help you make a good application and learn about their business.
When applying for graduate schemes, there are a couple of important things to remember:
- Read about them online. Be ready to tell them what you're good at and why you'd like to work for them.
- When you attend employer events, you're not just finding out about them. They're finding out about you too. Think of good questions to ask.
- Dress smartly when attending employer events.
- Don't be disheartened if everyone you know is also applying for these jobs.
Have you found a job?
We'd love to hear about your successes. Please fill out this form and we'll send you employment information to help you make a great start.