Visiting Scholar Programme
Learn about the department’s Visiting Scholar Programme.
The Visiting Scholar Programme supports visits to the Department of Commercial Law by scholars in the field of commercial law and taxation. We welcome applications from academics at all levels of seniority and at all stages of their careers.
The main objectives of the Visiting Scholar Programme are:
- To enable visits by scholars whose presence in the department is likely to have a positive impact on the teaching or research outputs of departmental staff
- To facilitate international academic communication and co-operation by assisting the exchange of scholars
- To provide the department with academic stimulus through seminars, lectures and/or workshops delivered by the Visiting Scholar
- To create for the Visiting Scholar the opportunity to engage in research in an alternative academic environment
- To contribute to research by collaboration between Visiting Scholars and members of academic staff
The Visiting Scholar Programme applies to all academic researchers regardless of their intended length of stay. The department can host a number of visitors each year (sometimes simultaneously).
Visiting Scholar activities
Visiting Scholars are expected to actively undertake research during their stay in the department. In some instances Visiting Scholars may also be invited to contribute some teaching in their areas of expertise.
A Visiting Scholar is expected to present at least one academic seminar, lecture or workshop on a specialist topic of current interest.
This seminar will be presented to staff and graduate students of the Business School, but will be advertised widely and open to the general academic and professional community.
During the period of the visit, the Visiting Scholar will be encouraged to actively explore opportunities for ongoing collaborative research with members of the department. Selection will give preference to Visiting Scholars who have a proposal for collaborative research with the sponsor in the department in place.
The Visiting Scholar will be provided with academic facilities and a desk with a computer within the Business School on the University of Auckland’s city campus for the duration of their visit. The department cannot assist with any funding for the Visiting Scholar’s travel or accommodation expenses.
It is expected that each Visiting Scholar will be actively sponsored by a current member of the Department of Commercial Law. The sponsor will be responsible for:
- Assisting the prospective Visiting Scholar to complete the application form specifying the aims and objectives of the visit (see link to application form below)
- Keeping the prospective Visiting Scholar informed about the progress on the application and arrangements for the visit
- At the conclusion of the visit, submitting a brief report outlining the research outcomes from the visit. This report should include the following details: titles, dates and locations of seminars or presentations by the Visiting Scholar, an outline of the research outputs accomplished during the visit (if any), including the title and anticipated publication details of any academic papers.
How to apply
Applications for a Visiting Scholarship must be made via the application form and submitted at least one month before the proposed visit.
Note: while many international visiting scholars do not need a visa to enter New Zealand, some may. Obtaining a visa will be the responsibility of the prospective visiting scholar. For details see the University website.
Even if no visa is required to enter New Zealand, visiting scholars may need to provide a letter of invitation on arrival at the airport. The department is able to provide a letter of invitation.
For further details about the Visiting Scholar Programme or the Department of Commercial Law, please contact: