We provide timely, high quality histology services and training to staff and students of the University of Auckland as well as external users.
About the Histology Laboratory
The Department of Anatomy and Medical Imaging offers a full Histology service available to all faculty and external users. This facility offers a broad range of high quality histological techniques on a fee-for-service basis to investigators. See below for the services provided.
Training in histological methods
- Processing and embedding tissues
- Cryostat sectioning
- Processing and embedding: The tissue samples are processed in an automatic processor and embedded in wax into a block.
- Microtomy: The embedded tissue is cut on a microtome to the required thickness to enable you to stain the section on a glass slide.
- Frozen sectioning: OCT embedded tissue is cut on a cryostat and sections are collected onto a slide enabling you to perform immunohistochemstry or special stains.
- Routine histology staining: Haematoxylin and Eosin is a routine stain in histology
- Special staining: Gram stain, Masson’s Trichrome stain, Elastic Van Gieson stain and many more stains can be performed in Histology.
- Immunohistochemistry: This method analyses and identifies cell types based on binding of antibodies to the antigens and cell components in the tissue samples.
Electron microscopy services
- TEM processing: This method enables you to process the tissue sample into an appropriate resin to enable you to create semi-thin or ultra-thin sections.
- Semi-thin ultramicrotomy: 1 micron thin sections can be cut on an ultramicrotome.
The Histology Laboratory is located in the School of Medical Sciences Tthe Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences' Grafton Campus in 85 Park Road, Grafton.
Our postal address is:
Department of Anatomy and Medical Imaging
Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences
School of Medical Sciences
85 Park Road
Please be advised direct access to the Histology laboratory is currently limited. To submit or pick up samples from the lab, please request an appointment with Farqad Abdulqader. Alternatively, you can leave a phone message on extension 87885.
For all enquries please contact:
Dr. Farqad Abdulqader
Phone: +64 9373 7599
Farqad is a histology professional with extensive experience in processing tissue samples for research and clinical trials. Farqad is dedicated to advancing the field of histology and making a meaningful impact in the world of medical sciences.