Mathematics teaching fellowship
Each year the Department of Mathematics offers an annual Mathematics Teacher Fellowship for secondary school teachers.
Applications for the 2020 fellowship closed at 5 pm on Friday 9th August.
We will expect to make a selection decision by the end of August.
The fellowship aims to help secondary school mathematics teachers develop new skills and gain research experience while at the same time strengthening the links between schools and the University.
As a Mathematics Teacher Fellow, you will spend one year in the University environment teaching mathematics courses and running outreach activities. You will have the opportunity to engage in professional development and university study, to upskill in mathematics and gain valuable research experience.
To preserve school teaching salary and conditions of service we generally expect the fellow to take a period of leave from their employer. The Department of Mathematics at the University of Auckland will negotiate details of salary payment with the school of the successful applicant.
The department will provide salary payment (as described above), desk space, computing facilities and access to the university libraries. In turn, you will be required to:
- Assist in the teaching of appropriate stage one mathematics courses
- Participate in appropriate outreach activities on behalf of the Department of Mathematics
- Contribute to other activities in the Department of Mathematics and the Mathematics Education Unit, such as seminars and discussions.
- Have a degree with a major in mathematics, or equivalent
- Have at least four years of recent experience teaching secondary school mathematics in New Zealand
- Be teaching mathematics in a New Zealand school currently
- Hold New Zealand permanent residency or citizenship
- Have a proven record of success as a teacher of senior mathematics
For more information download our list of frequently asked questions below.
How to apply
Please email the following documents to Rachel Passmore before the closing date.
- The completed application form (download below)
- Current CV
Note: The application form requires contact details for two referees. At least one referee should be able to provide a detailed reference on your teaching ability.