Physics of measurement and materials
Our research in applied physics seeks to identify and pursue opportunities for new technologies, techniques and materials.
We have a strong history of technological innovation and have contributed to the department’s record of spring-boarding successful spinout companies.
Our research primarily targets issues with societal impacts, such as the energy or water management sectors. We welcome new collaborations in our key areas.
Development of optical sensing and imaging systems
Research in this area focuses on the development of optical sensing and imaging systems. We utilise optical sensing for a variety of measurements such as temperature, bacterial count and fruit freshness. Imaging systems primarily focus on biological samples for items like cartilage, fruit and nerves.
Microfluidics and nanofluidics
Our researchers have access to a soft lithography facility for making microfluidic chips. We use these in applications involving colloids such as cells, bioparticles, and Janus particles.
In the Dynamic Microfluidics Laboratory, we explore moving droplets, including phenomena such as superhydrophobicity and capillary uptake. We also have capabilities in nanoscale fluidics, such as using pores and pipettes to analyse nanoscale colloids and bioparticles.
Related research centres
- Raman spectroscopy for cancer detection
- Biophotonics and optical sensing
- Fibre lasers
- Laser micromachining and microfabrication
- Fibre Lasers
- Nonlinear optics
- Photonic crystal fibres
- Optical Sensors
- Nonlinear fibre optics
- High-speed optical communications systems
- Condensed matter physics
- Computational materials science
- The physics of complex systems
- Innovation and economics
- Ultra-cold atoms
- Quantum optics
- THz spectroscopy
- Micro resonators
- Laser physics
- Nonlinear effects
- Vibrational spectroscopy
- Fluorescence spectroscopy
- Ultrafast spectroscopy and quantum chemistry
- Pulsed Laser micromachining and microfabrication
- Optical coherence tomography
- Nonlinear microscopy
- Laser ultrasonics
- Elastic wave scattering
- Experimental and theoretical soft condensed matter
- Janus spheres
- Nanofluidics, nanoscale pipettes and pores
- Dynamic microfluidics