3MT competition | Science heats | register now
4 April 2019
Take one static PowerPoint slide and a passion for your research. Combine and distil down to a three minute pithy, persuasive presentation.
Yes – the Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) competition is back!
The Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) competition is open to masters students and doctoral candidates currently undertaking research or have theses under examination (graduates are not eligible).
It challenges postgraduate students to communicate their research to a general audience in just three minutes with a single static presentation slide.
Learning to communicate research clearly and succinctly is a very
So if you think you could explain an 80,000 word thesis in just 180 seconds, take up this challenge to develop your communication skills and be in to win prizes and opportunities to travel and network with peers.
Step three: Register for the Science heats by 15 May . The heats are being held on 23 May.
Step four: Remember to check and book in for the specialised 3MT® workshops:
- Monday 29 April | Three Minute Thesis (3MT) preparation workshop
- Friday 10 May | Hugh Kearns: Presenting your research with confidence
- Wednesday 15 May | Presenting research at seminars, events and conferences [Doctoral only]
What happens after that?
One masters and one doctoral winner will be chosen to go forward to the University Final on Friday 9 August. There are great prizes at the University finals and our overall winners will represent us in the wider competitions:
- Thursday 22 August: NZ Inter-University Masters Final (Otago)
- Friday 20 September: Universitas 21 3MT® competition deadline (Online)
- Friday 4 October: 3MT® Asia-Pacific Final (Brisbane)