Accessing the Stats NZ Database
Through our onsite Data Lab, we provide access to Stats NZ's extensive research database, the Integrated Data Infrastructure (IDI).
The Stats NZ IDI holds microdata on New Zealand people and households. Data comes from government agencies, Stats NZ surveys and non-government organisations (NGOs) and includes information such as education, income, benefits, migration, justice, and health.
All data is protected by law to guard privacy and ensure it does not identify individuals. Researchers can request access to the IDI to help solve complex issues and improve outcomes for New Zealanders.
The IDI complements the Longitudinal Business Database (LBD), which holds microdata about businesses. The two databases are linked through tax data.
7am-11.30pm Monday to Sunday (except during University shutdown periods).
Building 303s, Level 3, Room 386, 38 Princes Street, City Campus.
How to access our Data Lab environment
New Zealand-based researchers can apply to access the IDI microdata for research.
To gain access, you and your research project must meet the conditions Stats NZ have set to keep the data safe. You can only access the data in a secure Data Lab environment.
For access to the University of Auckland's secure Data Lab environment, you must first apply to Stats NZ for permission to use the data.
Once you have Stats NZ approval, you can apply to access the Data Lab environment at the University by following the process below:
Without a University of Auckland ID
If you are not affiliated with the University of Auckland, please follow the steps below:
- Register with the University of Auckland online
- Using the supplied username, update your information through the identity management system
- Register with the Department of Statistics reception ( Building 303, Level 3, 38 Princes Street, City Campus) as a regular visitor.
- Apply for a University of Auckland ID card through AskAuckland, located in Alfred Nathan House, 24 Princes St, City Campus.
Once you have your University ID, follow the steps below to apply for access to the Data Lab.
Please note: To gain sponsorship from the department you may need to carry out both processes concurrently.
With a University of Auckland ID
1. Email the following details to email@example.com
- University of Auckland username
- STATS NZ Data Lab username
- Email address
- Mobile number
- Overview of why you need to access the Data Lab
- Preferred hours of use
- Project end date or access end date
2. Attach copies of the following documents to your email:
- University of Auckland ID card - front and back
- Proof of ID (a passport, drivers licence or other)
- Access approval email from Stats NZ
- Completed access request form (see download link below)
We will confirm your eligibility with Stats NZ. When your eligibility has been confirmed, we will load your access onto your University of Auckland ID card and email you.
- You must inform us when your project finishes or if you are no longer using the Data Lab.
- The Department of Statistics reserves the right to cancel your access at any time.
- Please follow all rules laid out by Stats NZ.
- The lab opens at 7am and closes promptly at 11.30pm; please ensure you leave the building before that time.
- Please keep the lab clean and be mindful of other users.
- The lab is closed during the University shutdown periods, such as over the Christmas break.